Every New Year we all try to come up with one specific resolution for the entire year. Why do we just pick one? By just picking one New Year’s Resolution, we limit our ability to accomplish so much more.
In the HVAC world, we shouldn’t limit our New Year’s Resolution to just one specific thing. Here is a list of HVAC Resolutions that may help improve the efficiency of your HVAC unit. By improving efficiency, you will also lower your heating & cooling cost.
HVAC New Year’s Resolutions for 2012
- Change Your Filter – You like to breathe clean air, right? Your filter can not give you that clean air if you don’t maintain it. When not changed, the filter becomes congested with dirt and debris. When congested, the airflow is reduced, causing your HVAC unit to work harder. As you can imagine, by the unit working harder energy consumption is increased. Check your filters monthly and replace/clean them as needed. According to Energy Star, “a dirty filter can increase energy costs and damage your equipment, leading to early failure.”
- Unblock Vents – Check around your home or business to make sure vents and air returns are not blocked by furniture or other objects. By blocking a vent, you are basically wasting that conditioned air. Make sure to move the objects blocking the vent to properly heat/cool your room.
- Programmable Thermostat – Invest in a programmable thermostat. By doing so, you will consume less energy. Why waste energy heating/cooling your home or business if you aren’t there? According to Energy Star, “the average household spends more than $2,200 a year on energy bills – nearly half of which goes to heating and cooling. Homeowners can save about $180 a year by properly setting their programmable thermostats and maintaining those settings.”
- Tune Up – Just like a vehicle should get an oil change or be inspected, your HVAC unit needs to be maintained. This is probably the most important part of prolonging the life of your unit. By having your HVAC unit checked at least once a year, you will not only improve efficiency, but comfort as well.
- Seal Air Leaks – Do you feel a draft in your home or business? If so, you could be wasting your heating and cooling. Make sure you’re not letting conditioned air and money fall through the cracks. If you have leaks around vents or in ducts you are using more conditioned air than needed. By sealing these leaks, you avoid excessive wear and tear on your unit. Such an easy fix can save you a pocket-full of money.
Feel free to get a head start on your HVAC Resolutions by contacting us. Let’s not only accomplish our 2012 HVAC Resolutions together, but exceed our expectations.
Do you have any ideas or plans for your HVAC in 2012?
Kristen B. Burgess, Client Services Representative and Shandi Maddox, Marketing Assistant of Controlled Release Technologies, Inc.
CRT is an IFMA CSP, EnergyStar Partner and manufacturer of independently-certified Green products for HVAC maintenance. Since 1986, CRT has been creating leading edge HVAC maintenance products that have become industry standards, used in thousands of commercial buildings world-wide. CRT employees are members of BOMA, ASHRAE, ASHE and the American Chemical Society. www.cleanac.com (800) 766-9057.